The lip piercing trend is not something new. The trend dates back to times when Precolumbian cultures of South America employed lip piercing called Tembetá. Since then, it has been continued to be practiced by people from all around the world. In the U.S, lip piercing is popular among celebrities and common people alike. People opt for it as it looks super bold, daring and versatile. Although, this type of perforation is very trendy, very few people are aware of the fact that they take much time to heal. Moreover, it requires a great amount of care to ensure it stays infection-free.
So, before you think of flaunting lip piercings jewelry or have recently got that piercing, we advise you to read this article. It enlists some of the helpful tips to take care of your piercing in the best way possible:
Before Getting a Lip Piercing
To have a wonderful lip piercing experience, you need to follow the rules given below:
- Maintain Good Oral Health: Practice good oral hygiene by brushing your teeth before stepping inside the piercing studio. Try to floss to get rid of that unwanted debris. You will also need to gargle with a good antibacterial mouthwash.
- Do Not Smoke, Drink and Take Drugs: Ditch tobacco, alcohol and drugs a few weeks before opting for a lip piercing. Also, make sure to keep a distance from them for 6 to 10 weeks after you get your piercing done. Smoking cigarettes can irritate the lip jewelry and drugs can make you bleed. Also, alcohol and tobacco can dry out that healing piercing.
During Healing of The Lip Piercing
- Rinse Mouth Well: Rinse your mouth with a good antibacterial mouthwash right after your piercing and also during the healing process. Go for something milder like a sea salt solution.
- Change your diet: During the healing time, you need to check what you eat. We recommend you to consume soft foodstuffs such as yogurt, pudding, etc. Avoid solid, sour and spicy foods for at least a week. If you need to take solid foods, make sure to chew them well.
- Avoid Contact With Water: Although this might sound weird, bringing your piercing in contact with water can delay the healing process. Also, chorine water can dry out your perforation, eventually leading to irritation or infections.
- Clean your lips gently: Clean the piercing area gently, with a soft and clean towel. Do not rub it. Best is to use clean the piercing area with disposable tissue.
- Keep Hands Clean: Always make sure to wash your hands with an antiseptic soap before touching lips. We advise you to not touch the piercing area at all until it heals completely.
- Clean Lip piercing jewelry gently: If you need to clean your lip jewelry, use a cotton swab for it. It will perfectly remove dirt of stains from the jewelry.
- Do Not Wear New Jewelry Right Away: changing your lip jewelry right after you have got a piercing can irritate the piercing. It can also result in bleeding and infections. So, wait for the piercing to heal first and then opt for new lip jewelry.
- Avoid Kissing: Stay ‘no’ to kissing for a couple of weeks. Let your piercing heal entirely before engaging in those lovely smooches.
Lip Piercings can be tricky. However, you can make the process least complicated with these effective tips!