There are different types of diet that every health enthusiast follows. The one, that has been gathering a lot of attention, is the Keto Diet. It is also known as a Ketogenic diet.
Generally, in the Keto diet, one has to follow a low-carb and high-fat diet, which is similar to an Atkins diet. It involves reducing the intake of carbohydrate and thereby replacing it with fat. Due to which, the carbs will put your body into the metabolism state known as Ketosis.
With the help of Keto diet, your insulin level and blood sugar will be reduced. With this, there are increased ketones that offer you multiple benefits.
In this blog post, we are going to give you a concise summary of everything you need to know about the Keto Diet.
Different Types of Keto Diet
There are four types of Keto Diet.
1. Standard Ketogenic Diet – It’s a standard Ketogenic diet in which there’s high amount of fat, low carbs, and moderate protein considered throughout the diet.
2. Cyclical Ketogenic Diet – In CKD there is a major reduction of the higher-carbs for almost five days. For the next two days, moderate level of carbs is taken.
3. Targeted Ketogenic Diet – In this kind of diet, you can add carbs around your workouts.
4. High Protein Keto Diet – It’s very similar to the standard Ketogenic diet. Nevertheless, in the high-protein Keto diet, the ratio varies. One can take protein up to 35% in this diet followed by low carb and high fats.
Why You Must Go For Ketogenic Diet?
There are various health benefits of opting for the Ketogenic diet. The primary reason among people is to lose weight through the diet. According to the research and studies, it is being claimed that it also helps in improving multiple health conditions especially the neurological, insulin and metabolism diseases.
Below mentioned are a few conditions:
Cancer – By following the Keto Diet you can prevent cancer and reduce the slow tumor growth.
Acne – When there is a reduction in the low insulin levels and less sugar intake, there is less chance of developing acne.
Heart disease – Since the Ketogenic diet can reduce body fat, there are fewer chances of heart strokes and a reduction in blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar.
Diabetes – For Type–2 Diabetes patients, Ketogenic diet is very beneficial. It might also help you in getting rid of medications.
Parkinson’s disease– Keto diet also reduces the chances of Parkinson’s disease.
Energy level – The more energy cells are created in the body, the more your energy level will boost up. Ketosis generates power in the brain and creates more mitochondria.
Signs of having Ketosis
- Reduced appetite, feeling full
- Weight loss
- A headache, chillness, – Keto Flu
- When there’s a rise in the Ketone levels then you can also feel a metallic taste in the mouth
Now that we have known about the health benefits, let us understand what you can eat in the Ketogenic diet, what to avoid and few additional tips.
What Food To Avoid?
Remember, any food that is high in carbs must be avoided or taken in moderation. Here is a list of food to avoid or minimize
- Sugary items that include – soda, cakes, chocolates, smoothies, ice creams, candy, etc.
- White rice, White Bread, Pastries, Noodles, etc.
- Fruits – All the fruits except berries.
- Grains – Wheat based products, pasta, cereals, etc.
- Alcohol – Many alcohols consist of carbs. Hence, avoid alcohol.
What Food To Eat?
Food that consists of high fat must be eaten in a Keto diet.
- Meat – Red or white meat, sausage, slices of bacon, chicken, turkey, etc.
- Seafood – high in protein along with fatty acids.
- Eggs – especially Omega 3 – rich eggs
- Dairy – unprocessed cheese, milk, yogurt
- Low carb veggies like tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, cauliflowers, etc
- Condiments – salt, pepper, healthy herbs like thyme, basil and more.
Side Effects of Keto Diet
Initially, the Keto Diet may seem to be effective and safe. But once, you have passed a week or two, you might notice some side effects.
It is also referred to as Keto Flu that lasts for few days only. You may feel low, mental function, nausea, hunger and sleep issues, anxiety and much more.
To make the process gradual, in the beginning, you can follow the regular low-carb diet that will help you in burning more fat, rather than directly eliminating carbs.
Remember, a Ketogenic diet will also change the water intake and minerals. Hence, it becomes essential to take the additional supplements that will keep your body nourished in those areas.
So, that was all about Keto Diet. Remember, it is your body and health. Therefore, what you feel and comfortable should be your preference. Like mentioned earlier, if you have any health-related problems, undergo a clinical trial and medical monitoring before proceeding with Keto diet. Once, the doctor approves, you are free to practice the Keto Diet.
BONUS: Keto Recipes Cookbook
If you’re a Keto beginner and are serious about