Stains and tooth discoloration is a common problem among people nowadays. These issues occur for a number of reasons. However, the good news is that the vast majority of stains can be managed, treated and prevented.
However, when it comes to treating any dental issues, people need to make sure to choose the top rated dentist. By doing this, a patient can be sure that his/her dental health is under the control of a certified professional. This article depicts all the key information every person should know about stains and tooth discoloration. In addition to that, the article covers potential measures that can be taken in order to protect your teeth from discoloration.
What are the different types of staining?
According to dentists, tooth discoloration can take three different forms such as extrinsic, intrinsic and age-related. Read further the article for a more detailed description of each form of tooth discoloration.
- Extrinsic: with this type of tooth discoloration, the stains only affect the surface of the tooth or the tooth enamel. Specialists say that the most common causes of extrinsic stains are beverages, food, and tobacco.
- Intrinsic: this type of stains are located within the tooth. It makes it extremely resistant to OCO (over-the-counter) whitening products. Some examples of intrinsic stains are injury to a tooth or trauma, certain medications, tooth decay, excessive amounts of fluoride and genetics.
- Age-related: the enamel of your teeth starts wearing away as a person ages. It normally leads to a yellow appearance. In the vast majority of cases, age-related discoloration is caused by intrinsic and extrinsic determinants.
What are the most common causes of tooth discoloration?
The main triggers for tooth discoloration are food, rinks, aging, and injuries. There are numerous foods that can lead to tooth discoloration as certain types of food can move into the outer layers of the tooth structure and stain the teeth. The most common foods that lead to tooth discoloration are redo sauces, red wine, coffee, chocolate, and tea. In addition to that, tobacco plays a huge role in making your teeth discolored.
According to a number of clinical studies, smokers are more prone to experience tooth discoloration than people who do not smoke. In addition to that, people who smoke are less satisfied with the way they look based on the appearance of their teeth. When people age, their teeth become more brittle, which in turn allows more staining and yellowing to appear. Furthermore, dentists say that certain medications might lead to permanent tooth discoloration.
Apart from all the aforementioned, tooth discoloration can be a result of a calcium deficiency. Water in some parts of the country naturally contains significant amounts of fluoride. If the water system that you use is extremely fluoride, you and your family members should use fluoride rinses.
What is the correlation between the color of the tooth and its causes?
Best rated dentists have prepared an overview regarding the correlation between the color of the teeth and its causes.
- Yellow: people who smoke tend to have yellow teeth. This is because of the fact that tobacco develops yellow staining on a person’s teeth. However, there are also other causes of yellow teeth and they are coffee, tea, red wine, certain medications, and poor oral hygiene.
- Brown: the most common causes of brown teeth are tobacco, tea, cola, red wine, blueberries, blackberries, tooth decay, and tartar buildup.
- White: white spots on your teeth can be caused by cavities. Specialists say that they can turn darker as they become more advanced. These white spots can also be caused by excessive amounts of fluoride.
- Black: black colored teeth can be a result of advanced dental cavity, liquid iron supplements, fillings, and crowns.
- Purple: people with purple-colored teeth tend to drink a lot of wine.
What can be done to fight stains?
A lot of different procedures and products are currently available for whitening your teeth and reducing stains. The most effective way for removing stains is teeth whitening and this procedure can take several forms including in-office treatment, at-home treatment, and over-the-counter medication.
During an in-office treatment, your dental specialist will make use of high concentrated hydrogen peroxide. This is a quick and effective procedure that normally lasts longer compared to other methods. Some dentists might also design custom trays so you can whiten your teeth at home. This process involves applying a gel to the tray and wearing it on your teeth for approximately one hour. In order to achieve proper results, you will have to wear these trays for several weeks. Over-the-counter products are considered less effective than other methods. Whitening strips and whitening toothpastes fall into the category of over-the-counter products.
It is extremely important to visit the top-rated dentist before making use of any teeth whitening products in order to make sure that it is safe. Specialists say that there are several products that can potentially cause gum irritation or sensitivity. Do not forget about visiting your dentists on a regular basis. It is recommended to have dentist’s check-ups every 6 months. By visiting your doctor on a regular basis, you will be able to reduce the appearance of stains and spots.
When is time to visit a specialist?
You need to seek immediate dental help if you observe a change in the color of teeth, which does not get better with over-the-counter whitening products. Doctors emphasize on the fact that if stainings are extremely deep, whitening products will not be able to remove them. In addition to that, it can be more serious than just stainings such as demineralization of enamel or a cavity.
Tooth discoloration can be a result of a cavity or an injury to the inside of the mouth. You can expect better results if you start managing these issues way in advance. As was mentioned above, it is highly important to visit a top-rated dentist at least twice a year. In the vast majority of cases, these types of problems are discovered during regular dentist check-ups. The issue can be prevented from becoming more serious if you start the treatment process in the early stages.
How to maintain your smile bright?
If you are extremely worried about your teeth getting discolored, you will have to sacrifice certain things that include coffee, red wine, and blueberries. In addition to that, you will have to make certain modifications to your regular routine including:
- Brush your teeth right away: you will have to brush your teeth right after you consume coffee, tea or a bowl of cereal with berries. If you cannot eliminate the consumption of these products, you should keep your toothbrush at your desk. It is also recommended to use a toothpaste with a little whitening component.
- Rinse your mouth: if you cannot brush your teeth, you should swish water around in your mouth after you drink or eat. Keep in mind that even water is better than keeping all that material behind.
- Make use of a straw: straws are able to pull liquids inside your mouth so the drink bypasses your smile. It tends to go on the roof of your mouth.
- Visit a top-rated dentist on a regular basis: it is highly recommended to visit a doctor regularly in order to smooth the fine cracks in tooth enamel where color gets trapped. Furthermore, polishing your teeth might assist in reducing the number of stains.